1.5kg1 kg mince (reduced meat content 12-Jan-2013 due to feedback from family)
- 4 x 440g cans kidney beans (including liquid)
- 1 tub tomato paste
- 2 or 3 small onions (or 250g of frozen chopped)
- 3 tomatoes - coarsely chopped (or 2 tins of diced - plain)
- 1/2 green capsicum - coarsely chopped
- 3 sticks of celery coarsely chopped
1/2tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons of corn flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- Saute the onions and celery in a tablespoon of oil until the onions are clear. Add the mince.
- Cook until the mince is brown. Drain excess oil.
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on auto for at least 5 hours stirring occasionally.
- After 4 hours and 15 minutes of cooking: combine the corn flour and extra water and stir into the chili. This will thicken the sauce and add to the flavour.
Options:1 tbsp of brown sugar if you prefer a sweeter chili.
Serve with fresh pepper to increase heat (spiciness) of dish.
This dish is best served with fresh grated cheddar cheese and sour cream. Use crackers or corn chips for dipping.
Leave any leftovers in the fridge for a day to increase flavours. Alternately prepare one day ahead as the flavours really pop after a day in the fridge.
Can be frozen.
Notes:I've removed any salt from the recipe as the tinned kidney beans usually contain enough for most tastes. You can reduce the salt content further by draining and rinsing the kidney beans and adding an extra cup of water to the pot.
All measurements are in metric and spelling is English.